The Defence School Mentor (DSM) Program provides support to the children of Australian Defence Force (ADF) Members. Charthouse Primary School receives funding from the Department of Defence to facilitate the DSM program.
Ms Tania Turley is our DSM, and she provides direct and flexible assistance to students, parents, teachers, and other support services at the school. Ms Turley works under the guidance of the Regional Educational Liaison Officer (REDLO) to help address the negative impact mobility, deployments, parental absences, and transitional life have on a Defence student.
Defence School mentor activities include (but not limited to):
- Supporting and welcoming new children and their families to integrate into the school and wider community e.g., Sporting Clubs, Family Support providers.
- Monitoring the social and emotional wellbeing of Defence students.
- Assisting students develop self-confidence, self-reliance, and resilience.
- Promoting awareness and appreciation of the unique Defence lifestyle in schools and communities.
- Providing support to children during times of parental absences.
- Farewelling students when parents post to new locations and all families are welcome to attend.
During the school term Charthouse Cadets meet at recess/lunch times for fun activities to promote friendships and build relationships. Our Defence students are involved in our ANZAC and Remembrance Day ceremonies.
We have created a Memorial Garden and the Navy Engagement team has visited Charthouse for a whole school incursion to learn all about the Defence lifestyle and the service they provide for our country.
Charthouse Primary would love to welcome new Defence families to our friendly school community so if you are being posted to Western Australia, why not choose Charthouse Primary to support your family.
If you would like more information, please do not hesitate to email Ms Tania Turley firstname.lastname@example.org